Job ID: 224962562
About the School: The Fulton Academy of Science and Technology (FAST) was established in 2016 as a STEM Charter School in Roswell, GA. The school is expected to enroll approximately 600 students (Grades K-8) in the 2019-2020 school year.
The mission of FAST is to provide an education based on design thinking and problem-solving with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). A primary goal of FAST is to prepare children in a way that provides them the foundation to be creative innovators, problem solvers, and successful leaders in a rapidly changing world.
Position Title: Principal
School Year: 2019-2020 (Expected start date June 1, 2019)
Reports to: FAST Governing Board
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following application package
- Cover letter summarizing interest, skills, and qualifications.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Names, home or mailing addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers of at least three (3) professional references, one of whom should be a current or former supervisor.
- On a separate page, please answer the following questions (Include question and response):
- Have you ever received an overall unsatisfactory, ineffective, or needs development rating on an Annual Performance Evaluation? If yes, list the ratings and year(s).
- Have you resigned or been discharged from any position including the Armed Forces, while under suspicion of having engaged in criminal, immoral, or unprofessional conduct? Are you now under investigation for any such charge or have you resigned in lieu of being discharged?
- Have you ever been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor or pled Nolo Contendre? Are you now under investigation for any such offense other than a minor traffic offense? For the purpose of this application, DUI (Driving Under the Influence), DWI (Driving While Intoxicated), and BWI (Boating While Intoxicated), must be reported.
- Have you ever had any disciplinary action taken against you by a previous employer or State Licensing Agency? Disciplinary actions may include a written reprimand, suspension, demotion, or non-renewal (do not include a reduction in force).
Role Overview: Under general direction, serves as the instructional and strategic leader for the school; provides instructional and professional leadership to faculty and staff members; administers all components of a school including instructional leadership, curriculum implementation, monitoring of instruction, maintenance of physical plant, and budget management; ensures compliance with state and federal laws.
- Master’s Degree in Education, Educational Administration, or a closely related field. Specialist or Doctorate Degree preferred.
- 3+ years school level leadership experience, preferably within a public or charter school.
- 5+ years in K-8 classroom teaching within a public, private or charter school.
- Recruit, train, motivate, and retain a high-quality team that promotes and
espouses the mission and vision of the school.
- Provide instructional leadership to teachers.
- Develop teachers and staff by providing helpful feedback and professional learning opportunities.
- Cultivate own growth, sustainability, and success through active participation in professional development and seeking out high impact opportunities.
- Evaluate and provide mentoring for staff as necessary.
- Carry out a lottery-based admissions policy while not compromising on other values and standards.
- Use data and feedback to make informed decisions that support teaching and learning.
- Adhere to the guidelines of the FAST Charter.
- Understand how charter schools are funded. Manage fiscal responsibilities and execute board approved budget.
- Set ambitious vision and goals aligned with the FAST STEM model.
- Achieve a level of academic performance that is comparable to high achieving schools on the County, State, and National levels.
- Ability to balance stakeholder dynamics.
- Work closely with the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO).
- Facilitate interpersonal interactions with students, parents, and staff.
- Communicate organizational goals and objectives to stakeholders.
- Ensure that mandatory reports are submitted to appropriate departments in a timely manner.
- Possess the necessary experience and/or knowledge of the ways in which fundraising fits into the larger school framework.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Be an excellent communicator and an effective listener to staff and people from the broad FAST community.
- Demonstrate the ability to learn new things and to recognize when something is not working.
- Possess the traits of a charismatic, resilient, and visionary leader.
- Be a risk-taker and innovator with a long-range strategic vision.
- Build a culture that supports and honors diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Recognize the different needs of students and exhibit flexibility in addressing those needs.
- Maintain high ethical standards.
- FAST is a school of choice in an area with excellent schools. Parents who are choosing FAST for their children are not jumping from bad schools; they are looking for something different for their children’s education.
- FAST students and staff have an additional hour of class four days a week for a class called Innovation. The goal of this class is to help children practice the design thinking process. This process is based on the idea that being an innovator is a learned skill, not something that is innate. Design thinking is core to the mission of the school.
- FAST offers two grade levels of acceleration opportunity. This creates many challenges for scheduling and managing parent expectations, but it is important to our community.
- FAST has high expectations but is not focused on state mandated testing to the degree that learning does not pause for the sake of testing review. Learning does not stop after testing. FAST, while only in the third year of operation, is recognized as a high performing school; it is not a turn-around charter school.
- A personal network of school leaders, especially charter school leaders, will be helpful to our future leader.
- FAST is a public charter school under the umbrella of Fulton County Schools.
Salary commensurate with experience.